Lester on the South Summit of Seneca Rocks, WV
Lester, Ethan, and Aaron on a rock somewhere!
WILD GUYde Adventures, LLC
1047 Stuart St.
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
“First, he should never show fear. Second, he should be courteous to all, and always give special attention to the weakest member in the party. Third, he should be witty, and able to make up a white lie if necessary on short notice, and tell it in a convincing manner. Fourth, he should know when and how to show authority, and, when the situation demands it, should be able to give a good scolding to whomsoever deserves it.”
(Conrad Kain, 1934,
On Being a Companionable Guide)
Who is this WILD GUYde?
Lester R. Zook has been leading wilderness adventures and training camping leaders for 25 years. He served as director of the Outdoor Ministry program at Eastern Mennonite University, and he loves to take people outdoors!
· He is a Wilderness First Responder, and is a certified member of the American Mountain Guides Association (Single Pitch Instructor), and the Professional Climbing Instructors’ Association.
· He is also a member of the National Speleological Society (NSS), and has cave rescue training with the National Cave Rescue Commission (NCRC).
· In the Spring of 2006, he released the 2nd edition of CLIMBING ROCKingham County – a guidebook to local crags around Harrisonburg.
· He climbs and backpacks frequently in Virginia and West Virginia, but has also clambered on big rocks in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Vermont, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, New Hampshire, Oregon, and California.
· Lester has his B.A. in Health and Physical Education from Messiah College (1982), his M.Ed. from Temple University in Recreation and Leisure Studies (1985), and his Ed.D. from the University of Virginia in Higher Education Administration (1995).
· His interview by Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine about “Children and Climbing” appeared in the January 2008 issue (p. 28).
· He publishes the quarterly e-newsletter, GUYdelines – thoughts for outdoor lovers and leaders - four times a year (email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to be on the receiving list).
· Lester’s birthday is in September, and his favorite colors are blue and green. Anything else you want to know?
Ethan and Aaron Zook are WILD CHYLD 1 and WILD CHYLD 3. Ethan has been a counselor and adventure leader at numerous summer camps, and is a Red Cross Lifeguard and a Virginia Paramedic. He has a particular interest in a pretty blonde named Melissa, and two little Grand-Guys (Eli and Ezra)! Aaron is a Red Cross Lifeguard, a paddler, caver, and climber, and has been through Wilderness First Aid. Aaron is a distance runner, and is more fit than anyone else in the family! Both Ethan and Aaron can provide a great experience on the water, up a cliff, or deep underground.
· WILD GUYde Adventures LLC is incorporated in Virginia, and is fully insured for both general liability and major medical.
· WGA practices environmental stewardship and is a member of the Access Fund.
· WILD GUYde holds commercial-use permits with the George Washington National Forest, the Monongahela National Forest, and along Virginia’s Blue Ridge. We are an equal opportunity employer and provider.
· WGA opened in 2004, and has been a member of the Harrisonburg Rockingham Chamber of Commerce since 2006.