“The manners of mountaineers are commonly savage, but they are rather produced by their situation than derived from their ancestors.”
Samuel Johnson, eighteenth-century English arbiter of style and taste
“Slug mode is when you lay in the tent with nothin’ to do, maybe not even a book to read, maybe not even nothin’ to eat. I can do it pretty well.”
Kitty Calhoun, notable female climber
News, Special Events, and Links
Excitement is happening now!
We are actively booking fall and winter trip events, so don't wait too long to contact us for possibilities for your family, scout troop or youth group adventure. We can go underground through the winter; rock climbing and paddling usually go March through October.
Special events coming up:
· PCIA Top Rope Climbing Instructor Course at Hidden Rocks, VA with WILD GUYde Adventures April 6-8, 2018; click here for info.
· Introducing Children to the Wild and Local Outdoors: free and open to the public presentation at the Cecil Gilkerson Community Activities Center, 305 S. Dogwood, Harrisonburg, VA (7-8 PM). Walkabout Outfitter will be supplying several door prizes by drawing, and some helpful informational resources will also be provided. This event is co-sponsored by Harrisonburg City Parks and Rec. Dept, Rockingham County Parks and Rec. Dept., Walkabout Outfitter, and WILD GUYde Adventures.
Contact some of our fine friends for . . .
Lodging in the
· Contact Vicki at the Waynesboro North 340 Campground for year-round camping with all the amenities at www.waynesboron340campground.com (540-943-9573)
· Call Wayne at the Stonewall Jackson Inn at www.StonewallJacksonInn.com (540-433-8233 or 800-445-5330)
· Old Massanutten Lodge at www.oldmassanuttenlodge.com (540-269-8800)
· Call Monica and John at Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA Campground (year-round camping, with hot showers) at www.koa.com/where/va/46140 (540-896-8929 or 800-562-5406)
· Call Marjorie, Duke, Tina or Paula at Shenandoah Valley Campground in Verona (April 1 – Nov. 6; pool, mini-golf, fishing, river fun, and more) at www.CampingisFun.com (800-310-2580)
· Hone Quarry, Todd Lake, and North River Campgrounds in the George Washington National Forest, west of Harrisonburg (seasonal, limited amenities, CHEAP!)
· Camp Horizons (540-896-7600) or Camp Brethren Woods (540-269-2741) for cabin and bunkhouse lodging in the Shenandoah Valley
· Natural Chimneys Regional Park Campground (April 1 - Oct. 30) at 540-245-5727 (office) or 540-350-2510 (park phone - seasonal)
Victorian Inn and Riverfront Cottage Lodging in Luray, Virginia:
· The Woodruff Collection of Victorian Inns www.woodruffinns.com (540-743-1722)
Family and Group Lodging Near Franklin, Smoke Hole, and Seneca Rocks in West Virginia:
· Call Roger at LTD Vacation Rental Cabins www.ltdvacation.com (410-442-1117)
· Thorn Spring 4H Camp (call John at 304-358-7737) for group lodging (campground and heated bunkhouse) near Franklin WV
· Brandywine (May 1 - Dec. 15) and Seneca Shadows USFS Campgrounds near Brandywine WV and Seneca Rocks WV, respectively (seasonal and inexpensive)
· NROCKS, near Circleville, WV, home of the Via Ferrata and Treetop Canopy Tour (lodge, cabins, and group camping) www.nrocks.com (877-435-4842)
· Keith and crew at The Sole Source, in Harrisonburg, VA at www.thesolesource.net (540-564-BOOT)
· Gary and Linda, Howard and Andy at Appalachian Outdoors Adventures in Luray, VA at www.aoaluray.com (540-743-7400)
· Wilderness Adventure in Staunton, VA at www.wildernessadv.com (540-885-3200)
· Chuck and friends at Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro, VA at
· Canoe, kayak, and tube rentals on the South Fork with Rodney and crew at Shenandoah River Adventures at www.shenandoahriveradventures.com (1-888-309-7222)
Other things to do:
· Harrisonburg Rockingham Chamber of Commerce in Harrisonburg, VA at www.HRChamber.org (540-434-3862)
· Harrisonburg Tourism and Visitors' Services in Harrisonburg, VA at www.visitharrisonburgva.com (540-432-8940)
· Shenandoah Valley Travel Association in New Market VA at www.VisitShenandoah.org (540-740-3132)
· Peak Experiences Indoor Rock Climbing for rainy days in Richmond VA, visit Jay and Neil and staff at www.peakexperiences.com (804-897-6800)
Environmental Care Connections:
· Friends of Shenandoah Mountain, proposing federal protections for Shenandoah Mountain and its related drainage basins www.friendsofshenandoahmountain.org
· WILD VIRGINA, advocating for natural protections in the George Washington National Forest www.wildvirginia.org (434-971-1553)
· The Access Fund, advocating for environmental care and continued access to America’s climbing areas www.accessfund.org (888-8ME-MBER)