“The manners of mountaineers are commonly savage, but they are rather produced by their situation than derived from their ancestors.”
Samuel Johnson, eighteenth-century English arbiter of style and taste
“Slug mode is when you lay in the tent with nothin’ to do, maybe not even a book to read, maybe not even nothin’ to eat. I can do it pretty well.”
Kitty Calhoun, notable female climber
News, Special Events, and Links
Excitement is happening now!
WILD GUYde Adventures is starting to book spring and summer 2015 trips. Spring weekends fill up quickly, so don't wait too long to contact us for possibilities for your family, scout troop or youth group adventure. During the summer, we will be caving, climbing, and paddling every week!
Special events this spring:
· PCIA Base-Managed Climbing Instructor Course at Hidden Rocks, VA with WILD GUYde Adventures April 10-12, 2015; click here for info.
· Camp Climbing Instructor seminars with WILD GUYde Adventures in PA May 28-29, 2015, and in VA June 1-2, 2015; click here for info.
Contact some of our fine friends for . . .
Lodging in the
· Call Wayne at the Stonewall Jackson Inn at www.StonewallJacksonInn.com (540-433-8233 or 800-445-5330)
· Old Massanutten Lodge at www.oldmassanuttenlodge.com (540-269-8800)
· Call Monica and John at Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA Campground (year-round camping, with hot showers) at www.koa.com/where/va/46140 (540-896-8929 or 800-562-5406)
· Call Marjorie, Duke, Tina or Paula at Shenandoah Valley Campground in Verona (April 1 – Nov. 6; pool, mini-golf, fishing, river fun, and more) at www.CampingisFun.com (800-310-2580)
· Hone Quarry, Todd Lake, Brandywine (WV), and North River Campgrounds in the George Washington National Forest, west of Harrisonburg (seasonal, limited amenities, CHEAP!)
Victorian Inn and Riverfront Cottage Lodging in Luray, Virginia:
· The Woodruff Collection of Victorian Inns www.woodruffinns.com (540-743-1722)
Family and Group Lodging Near Smoke Hole and Seneca in West Virginia:
· Call Roger at LTD Vacation Rental Cabins www.ltdvacation.com (410-442-1117)
· Keith and David at The Sole Source, in Harrisonburg, VA at www.thesolesource.net (540-564-BOOT)
· Gary and Linda, Howard and Andy at Appalachian Outdoors Adventures in Luray, VA at www.appalachianoutdoorsadventures.com (540-743-7400)
· Robert at Wilderness Adventure in Staunton, VA at www.wildernessadv.com (540-885-3200)
· Chuck and friends at Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro, VA at
· Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Charlottesville, VA at
· Canoe, kayak, and tube rentals on the South Fork with Rodney and crew at Shenandoah River Adventures at www.shenandoahriveradventures.com (1-888-309-7222)
Other things to do:
· Harrisonburg Rockingham Chamber of Commerce in Harrisonburg, VA at www.HRChamber.org (540-434-3862)
· Harrisonburg Tourism and Visitors' Services in Harrisonburg, VA at www.visitharrisonburgva.com (540-432-8940)
· Shenandoah Valley Travel Association in New Market VA at www.VisitShenandoah.org (540-740-3132)
Environmental Care Connections:
· Friends of Shenandoah Mountain, proposing federal protections for Shenandoah Mountain and its related drainage basins www.friendsofshenandoahmountain.org
· WILD VIRGINA, advocating for natural protections in the George Washington National Forest www.wildvirginia.org (434-971-1553)
· The Access Fund, advocating for environmental care and continued access to America’s climbing areas www.accessfund.org (888-8ME-MBER)