“The manners of mountaineers are commonly savage, but they are rather produced by their situation than derived from their ancestors.”
Samuel Johnson, eighteenth-century English arbiter of style and taste
“Slug mode is when you lay in the tent with nothin’ to do, maybe not even a book to read, maybe not even nothin’ to eat. I can do it pretty well.”
Kitty Calhoun, notable female climber
News, Special Events, and Links
Excitement is happening now!
WILD GUYde Adventures is starting to book spring and summer 2015 trips. Spring weekends fill up quickly, so don't wait too long to contact us for possibilities for your family, scout troop or youth group adventure. During the summer, we will be caving, climbing, and paddling every week!
Special events this spring:
· "Stupidity Explored -- Why Do Some People Get Hurt in the Outdoors" Lester will presenting some thoughts about this question at Peak Experiences Indoor Climbing (11421 Polo Circle in Midlothian VA) on Thursday, March 26 (6:30 - 7:30 PM). Stop by for some gear giveaways, and then a presentation that will be a great thinking starter for anyone interested in outdoor safety and leadership issues. This event is co-sponsored by Greenlife Adventure Sports, Peak Experiences Indoor Climbing, and WILD GUYde Adventures.
· PCIA Base-Managed Climbing Instructor Course at Hidden Rocks, VA with WILD GUYde Adventures April 10-12, 2015; click here for info.
· Camp Climbing Instructor seminars with WILD GUYde Adventures in PA May 28-29, 2015, and in VA June 1-2, 2015; click here for info.
Contact some of our fine friends for . . .
Lodging in the
· Call Wayne at the Stonewall Jackson Inn at www.StonewallJacksonInn.com (540-433-8233 or 800-445-5330)
· Old Massanutten Lodge at www.oldmassanuttenlodge.com (540-269-8800)
· Call Monica and John at Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA Campground (year-round camping, with hot showers) at www.koa.com/where/va/46140 (540-896-8929 or 800-562-5406)
· Call Marjorie, Duke, Tina or Paula at Shenandoah Valley Campground in Verona (April 1 – Nov. 6; pool, mini-golf, fishing, river fun, and more) at www.CampingisFun.com (800-310-2580)
· Hone Quarry, Todd Lake, and North River Campgrounds in the George Washington National Forest, west of Harrisonburg (seasonal, limited amenities, CHEAP!)
· Camp Horizons (540-896-7600) or Camp Brethren Woods (540-269-2741) for cabin and bunkhouse lodging in the Shenandoah Valley
Victorian Inn and Riverfront Cottage Lodging in Luray, Virginia:
· The Woodruff Collection of Victorian Inns www.woodruffinns.com (540-743-1722)
Family and Group Lodging Near Franklin, Smoke Hole, and Seneca Rocks in West Virginia:
· Call Roger at LTD Vacation Rental Cabins www.ltdvacation.com (410-442-1117)
· Thorn Spring 4H Camp (304-358-7737) for group lodging (campground and heated bunkhouse) near Franklin WV
· Brandywine and Seneca Shadows USFS Campgrounds near Brandywine WV and Seneca Rocks WV, respectively (seasonal and inexpensive)
· Keith and David at The Sole Source, in Harrisonburg, VA at www.thesolesource.net (540-564-BOOT)
· Gary and Linda, Howard and Andy at Appalachian Outdoors Adventures in Luray, VA at www.appalachianoutdoorsadventures.com (540-743-7400)
· Robert at Wilderness Adventure in Staunton, VA at www.wildernessadv.com (540-885-3200)
· Chuck and friends at Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro, VA at
· Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Charlottesville, VA at www.brms.com (434- 977-4400)
· Tommy and friends at Greenlife Adventure Sports in Glen Allen/Richmond, VA at www.greenlifeadventuresports.com (804-716-8145)
· Canoe, kayak, and tube rentals on the South Fork with Rodney and crew at Shenandoah River Adventures at www.shenandoahriveradventures.com (1-888-309-7222)
Other things to do:
· Harrisonburg Rockingham Chamber of Commerce in Harrisonburg, VA at www.HRChamber.org (540-434-3862)
· Harrisonburg Tourism and Visitors' Services in Harrisonburg, VA at www.visitharrisonburgva.com (540-432-8940)
· Shenandoah Valley Travel Association in New Market VA at www.VisitShenandoah.org (540-740-3132)
· Peak Experiences Indoor Rock Climbing for rainy days in Richmond VA, visit Jay and Neil and staff at www.peakexperiences.com (804-897-6800)
Environmental Care Connections:
· Friends of Shenandoah Mountain, proposing federal protections for Shenandoah Mountain and its related drainage basins www.friendsofshenandoahmountain.org
· WILD VIRGINA, advocating for natural protections in the George Washington National Forest www.wildvirginia.org (434-971-1553)
· The Access Fund, advocating for environmental care and continued access to America’s climbing areas www.accessfund.org (888-8ME-MBER)