“The manners of mountaineers are commonly savage, but they are rather produced by their situation than derived from their ancestors.”
Samuel Johnson, eighteenth-century English arbiter of style and taste
“Slug mode is when you lay in the tent with nothin’ to do, maybe not even a book to read, maybe not even nothin’ to eat. I can do it pretty well.”
Kitty Calhoun, notable female climber
News, Special Events, and Links
Excitement is happening now!
We are actively booking spring weekend and summer trip events, so don't wait too long to contact us for possibilities for your family, scout troop or youth group adventure. We can go underground through the winter; rock climbing and paddling start up in early March.
Special events coming up:
· PCIA Top Rope Climbing Instructor Course at Hidden Rocks, VA with WILD GUYde Adventures April 7-9, 2017; click here for info.
· Learning from a Climbing Guide: Leading on the Mountains and Other Places -- 2 day outdoor experiential leadership lab for "everyday leaders" (pastors and educators, parents, scout leaders, youth sport coaches, supervisors and managers); May 20-21 or June 24-25, 2017. Click here for more info.
· Camp Climbing Staff Seminar at Hidden Rocks, VA June 8-9, 2017 -- a 2-day training for camp climbing instructors, to be ready to run your top-rope and rappelling program for the 2017 summer season. Click here for info.
Contact some of our fine friends for . . .
Lodging in the
· Contact Vicki at the Waynesboro North 340 Campground for year-round camping with all the amenities at www.waynesboron340campground.com (540-943-9573)
· Call Wayne at the Stonewall Jackson Inn at www.StonewallJacksonInn.com (540-433-8233 or 800-445-5330)
· Old Massanutten Lodge at www.oldmassanuttenlodge.com (540-269-8800)
· Call Monica and John at Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA Campground (year-round camping, with hot showers) at www.koa.com/where/va/46140 (540-896-8929 or 800-562-5406)
· Call Marjorie, Duke, Tina or Paula at Shenandoah Valley Campground in Verona (April 1 – Nov. 6; pool, mini-golf, fishing, river fun, and more) at www.CampingisFun.com (800-310-2580)
· Hone Quarry, Todd Lake, and North River Campgrounds in the George Washington National Forest, west of Harrisonburg (seasonal, limited amenities, CHEAP!)
· Camp Horizons (540-896-7600) or Camp Brethren Woods (540-269-2741) for cabin and bunkhouse lodging in the Shenandoah Valley
· Natural Chimneys Regional Park Campground (April 1 - Oct. 30) at 540-245-5727 (office) or 540-350-2510 (park phone - seasonal)
Victorian Inn and Riverfront Cottage Lodging in Luray, Virginia:
· The Woodruff Collection of Victorian Inns www.woodruffinns.com (540-743-1722)
Family and Group Lodging Near Franklin, Smoke Hole, and Seneca Rocks in West Virginia:
· Call Roger at LTD Vacation Rental Cabins www.ltdvacation.com (410-442-1117)
· Thorn Spring 4H Camp (call John at 304-358-7737) for group lodging (campground and heated bunkhouse) near Franklin WV
· Brandywine (May 1 - Dec. 15) and Seneca Shadows USFS Campgrounds near Brandywine WV and Seneca Rocks WV, respectively (seasonal and inexpensive)
· Keith and crew at The Sole Source, in Harrisonburg, VA at www.thesolesource.net (540-564-BOOT)
· Gary and Linda, Howard and Andy at Appalachian Outdoors Adventures in Luray, VA at www.aoaluray.com (540-743-7400)
· Robert at Wilderness Adventure in Staunton, VA at www.wildernessadv.com (540-885-3200)
· Chuck and friends at Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro, VA at
· Canoe, kayak, and tube rentals on the South Fork with Rodney and crew at Shenandoah River Adventures at www.shenandoahriveradventures.com (1-888-309-7222)
Other things to do:
· Harrisonburg Rockingham Chamber of Commerce in Harrisonburg, VA at www.HRChamber.org (540-434-3862)
· Harrisonburg Tourism and Visitors' Services in Harrisonburg, VA at www.visitharrisonburgva.com (540-432-8940)
· Shenandoah Valley Travel Association in New Market VA at www.VisitShenandoah.org (540-740-3132)
· Peak Experiences Indoor Rock Climbing for rainy days in Richmond VA, visit Jay and Neil and staff at www.peakexperiences.com (804-897-6800)
Environmental Care Connections:
· Friends of Shenandoah Mountain, proposing federal protections for Shenandoah Mountain and its related drainage basins www.friendsofshenandoahmountain.org
· WILD VIRGINA, advocating for natural protections in the George Washington National Forest www.wildvirginia.org (434-971-1553)
· The Access Fund, advocating for environmental care and continued access to America’s climbing areas www.accessfund.org (888-8ME-MBER)