“The manners of mountaineers are commonly savage, but they are rather produced by their situation than derived from their ancestors.”
Samuel Johnson, eighteenth-century English arbiter of style and taste
“Slug mode is when you lay in the tent with nothin’ to do, maybe not even a book to read, maybe not even nothin’ to eat. I can do it pretty well.”
Kitty Calhoun, notable female climber
News, Special Events, and Links
Excitement is happening now!
We are actively booking Spring and Summer 2019 trip events, so don't wait too long to contact us for possibilities for your family, scout troop or youth group adventure. We can go underground through the winter; rock climbing and paddling usually go March through October.
Special events coming up:
· Virginia Adventure Education Conference, Fri., Feb. 22, 2019 at Camp Bethel, VA. Delightful and inexpensive networking and learning event for providers, students heading into the adventure industry, etc. Get details at https://www.vaaec.org/
· Open registration Beginner Caving Trip on Sun., March 3, 2019. 1 PM meet-up in Franklin WV. You can register with Staunton Parks and Rec., or Shenandoah County Parks and Rec. Hope to see you underground!
· Open registration Beginner Caving Trip on Sun., March 10, 2019. 1 PM meet-up in Franklin WV. You can register with Harrisonburg Parks and Rec., or Rockingham County Parks and Rec. Hope to see you in the Mountain State!
· Professional Climbing Instructors Association Top Rope Climbing Instructor course at Hidden Rocks, VA with WILD GUYde Adventures: April 12-14, 2019. Check our Climbing and Rappelling Adventures page on this website for details.
· Camp Climbing Instructor Training (non-certification) with WILD GUYde Adventures: May 20-21, 2019. See our Climbing and Rappelling Adventures page on this website for details.
Contact some of our fine friends for . . .
Lodging in the
· Contact Vicki at the Waynesboro North 340 Campground for year-round camping with all the amenities at www.waynesboron340campground.com (540-943-9573)
· Old Massanutten Lodge at www.oldmassanuttenlodge.com (540-269-8800)
· Call Monica and John at Harrisonburg/Shenandoah Valley KOA Campground (year-round camping, with hot showers) at www.koa.com/where/va/46140 (540-896-8929 or 800-562-5406)
· Call Marjorie, Duke, Tina or Paula at Shenandoah Valley Campground in Verona (April 1 – Nov. 6; pool, mini-golf, fishing, river fun, and more) at www.CampingisFun.com (800-310-2580)
· Hone Quarry, Todd Lake, and North River Campgrounds in the George Washington National Forest, west of Harrisonburg (seasonal, limited amenities, CHEAP!)
· Camp Horizons (540-896-7600) or Camp Brethren Woods (540-269-2741) for cabin and bunkhouse lodging in the Shenandoah Valley
· Natural Chimneys Regional Park Campground (April 1 - Oct. 30) at 540-245-5727 (office) or 540-350-2510 (park phone - seasonal)
Victorian Inn and Riverfront Cottage Lodging in Luray, Virginia:
· The Woodruff Collection of Victorian Inns www.woodruffinns.com (540-743-1722)
Family and Group Lodging Near Franklin, Smoke Hole, and Seneca Rocks in West Virginia:
· Call Roger at LTD Vacation Rental Cabins www.ltdvacation.com (410-442-1117)
· Thorn Spring 4H Camp (call John at 304-358-7737) for group lodging (campground and heated bunkhouse) near Franklin WV
· Brandywine (May 1 - Dec. 15) and Seneca Shadows USFS Campgrounds near Brandywine WV and Seneca Rocks WV, respectively (seasonal and inexpensive)
· NROCKS, near Circleville, WV, home of the Via Ferrata and Treetop Canopy Tour (lodge, cabins, and group camping) www.nrocks.com (877-435-4842)
· Thompson's Motel (304-358-2331) and the Franklin Inn/Fox's Pizza Den (304-358-2118) in Franklin WV (inexpensive motel lodging; NO websites)
· Vince and friends at Walkabout Outfitter on Court Square in Harrisonburg, VA (540-434-9900)
· Elyse, Gigi, and Toby the Dog at Appalachian Outdoors Adventures in Luray, VA (540-743-7400)
· Kristy and crew at Wilderness Adventure in Staunton, VA at www.wildernessadv.com (540-885-3200)
· Chuck and friends at Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro, VA at
· Our friends in Charlottesville at Great Outdoor Provision Company on Barracks Rd. https://greatoutdoorprovision.com (434-995-5669)
· Canoe, kayak, and tube rentals on the South Fork with Rodney and crew at Shenandoah River Adventures at www.shenandoahriveradventures.com (1-888-309-7222)
Other things to do:
· Harrisonburg Rockingham Chamber of Commerce in Harrisonburg, VA at www.HRChamber.org (540-434-3862)
· Harrisonburg Tourism and Visitors' Services in Harrisonburg, VA at www.visitharrisonburgva.com (540-432-8940)
· Shenandoah Valley Travel Association in New Market VA at www.VisitShenandoah.org (540-740-3132)
· Luray Visitors' Center and Page County Chamber of Commerce in Luray, VA (540-743-3915)
· Peak Experiences Indoor Rock Climbing for rainy days in Richmond VA, visit Jay and Neil and staff at www.peakexperiences.com (804-897-6800)
Environmental Care Connections:
· Friends of Shenandoah Mountain, proposing federal protections for Shenandoah Mountain and its related drainage basins www.friendsofshenandoahmountain.org
· WILD VIRGINA, advocating for natural protections in the George Washington National Forest www.wildvirginia.org (434-971-1553)
· The Access Fund, advocating for environmental care and continued access to America’s climbing areas www.accessfund.org (888-8ME-MBER)
· The Shenandoah National Park Trust, the official philanthropic partner of Shenandoah National Park www.snptrust.org/